Apple approved the App Store version 521 today. If you don’t see it in the App Store yet, it should be there soon.
I have just published version 521 fixing the TV lookup issues for non app store users to the built in updater. I have also submitted the app store version to MacUpdate and Apple and requested an expedited review.
If you are using the version from the Mac App Store… DO NOT try to update with the version from MacUpdate… they are not compatible.
I am aware that lookups for many, many TV shows are failing. In short, the TVDB changed something in their API that is not playing nice with iDentify, and I will have to issue an update to resolve the problem. I had programmed for the possibility of a change like this, but for some reason the countermeasures aren’t working 100% and I’ll be getting to work on this some time tonight. Normally I prefer to release the App Store version and the non App Store version simultaneously, but given the seriousness of the issue, I’ll be releasing the non App store version at the same time I submit the update to the App Store. I will try to file to have the review expedited, but it may still take some time to be reviewed.
I’m sorry for the inconvenience.
A lot of you contacted me in the past day or so wondering why your lookups were failing. It appears the TVDB API (what developers use to access their information) is currently broken. This is completely out of my hands, and there is no ETA at the moment. Keep in mind the TVDB is run by volunteers, and it’s the holiday season, and these people have more important things in their lives right now. Rest assured, they will get things fixed as soon as possible.
This will only be affecting TV Show lookups on the TVDB, and does not affect tagChimp or movie lookups.
On a side note, as I have not been doing a good job keeping up on comment moderation here, all comments on this site have been disabled. If you need support, please use the Bug Report/Feedback item in iDentify’s help menu.
First, I am aware of an issue in which a videos rating isn’t being written to files anymore. I don’t know what caused this to crop up, as nothing anywhere near there has been changed in ages. I have already fixed the issue and submitted the fix to apple. Lets hope it doesn’t take two months and more fighting with them to get it through.
However, the is a work around. The rating annotation field and the rating field are actually part of the same metadata tag inside the file. If you put something… Anything.. At all in the annotation field (a single space works fine) the rating will get written to the file, but won’t if it is left blank. So.. There it is. Put something in the annotation field until the next version is released.
Additionally, tagchimp is still in need of help, or they may be forced to shut their doors or move to a subscription model. If you are able, please send a donation via paypal to email@example.com
After over two months of fighting the app store approval process for a simple update, version 518 is available for download. I’ll post the non-app store version to MacUpdate and the internal updater tonight.
I have just been informed that tagChimp is totally down for the next 5 days because they hit 115% of their service allotment and will now be hit with overage charges. They haven’t received a donation in 8 months, so tagChimp may only have 1 month left if people don’t start kicking in.
If you find tagChimps’ service useful (they are currently the only service providing chapter names) then please send a Paypal donation their way to firstname.lastname@example.org
More delays and rejections from the App Store. Who knows when these bug fixes will make it to you guys thanks to these jerks.
Well, I’ve just about had it with Apple. After waiting 3 weeks for a review, the app got rejected because it didn’t implement sandboxing… Which can only be implemented under xcode 4… iDentify, very simply, does. not. compile. under xcode 4. xcode 4 does not include the libraries needed in order to support anything less than OS X 10.7… identify works all the way back to 10.5 after spending the day trying to get entitlements to work anyways… I go to resubmit it and find there is no way to resubmit the app. i cant reject my binary, I can’t submit a new version, I can’t do a damn thing. This is freaking ridiculous.
I have submitted build 514 to apple as of last night.
Fixes the update issues, adds 2.0 and Nip/Tuck to smart replacement, updates the mp4v2 engine, adds high res app icons, adds keyboard shortcuts to the editing tabs, and added an Erase ALL metadata option to the tool menu. I’ll release 513 to the non App Store customers when the App Store version is released.
Those of you who download torrents (naughty naughty ), I recommend avoiding mp4 releases from the FoV group. Files from this release group are malformed, and will be unplayable after tagging (though they are lucky they play at all). This problem exists for all apps using the mp4v2 engine, including iDentify and Subler, and apps using the AtomicParsley engine like MetaX won’t tag it at all. Clearly the problem lies in how the group is creating the files. But hey, you get what you pay for right?